Monday, February 07, 2011

Annual Drop In

Every now and then I'll login to blogger just to see if it still works. Kind of like the old Hotmail account. I had my hotmail account from the spring of 1994 until sometime last year when I gave up and just let the hackers have it.

Originally it was just an email account I had set up in the hopes I could track down an old child hood friend. His name was Ludwig Mims. So I took "LudwigMims@hotmail.com" figuring, maybe one day, he'd want an email account. (back then there was no such thing as Google, or Gmail, or Yahoo, or any of that kind of thing. Hotmail was the Gmail of its day) - Anyway, I figured Ludwig would go looking to set up an email account one day, and discover that someone already had the name LudwigMims@hotmail.com, and then write to that person saying something like, "Hey. My Name is Ludwig Mims too. What are the odds?!"

And I'd write back, "There you are you old so and so! It's me, dan!" and so on, and we'd swap war stories and stay in touch ever after.

I don't know what I was thinking. It was a stupid plan. Obviously, I never heard from Ludwig Mims. Even with the advent of Facebook, and Google both, he's never turned up. I went on road trips dubbed "The Hunt for Ludwig Mims" and though I followed every lead, I never actually found him.

In recent years, folks have told me all kinds of stories about what ever became of him, but none of them have ever been verified. None the least of which is a story about how he was murdered in jail somewhere. It's amazing when you try to find out if any of it is true, how many additional stories present themselves, but no matter what you discover, you (I) found myself only further from the truth.

Friends I've made as an adult always thought of Ludwig Mims as some sort of fictitious character I made up simply to relay wild stories of my youth in a "Big Fish" kind of way, sort of deflecting the blame for my antics, yet still allowing me to have my finger directly on the pulse of some absolute chaos from the perspective of a 3rd person. Most of my stories were received with a polite but noncommittal nod or occasional disbelieving laugh.

The fact is, Ludwig Mims remains one of the unsung heroes of my childhood. That damned kid put up with more grief than just about anyone I knew growing up, and it would really be something to see what that kid grew into. He's got to be 40 by now, and I suppose I haven't seen him since he was about 17.

So many things have happened in the world between the summer of 1988 and now.

Well anyway. That's what I logged in to Blogger for. Just to see if it was still there, and I guess it is.

My hope was that it would inspire me to do something with my site. Update it or something.

We'll see what happens.

dTown 6:27pm

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lugwig Mims.. Thanks for letting me enjoy a glimpse of your world through your eyes! See you around!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous lechsinska said...

i'm sure doing silly things on the internet, be they hotmail accounts or leaving comments on blogs, this whole interwebs let's us remind each other that we exist and it feels good to give a shout out or plan a search. so hey connortown, here we are. never to be forgotten.

11:51 PM  
Blogger hapi said...

Hi danconnortown, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Love your story about Ludeig Mims (what a cool name)and your photos. The one of Brent in the straw hat makes me remember the old days :-)I'm glad you found me on linkedin.

2:27 PM  
Blogger dogcote said...

Nice post...,


If anyone desire to get the full information about Puppy or dogs please click on these hypertext :-- puppy for sale | house training puppy | Basics of Dog Training | Dog Learning Style | dog psychology | Dog Insurance | Dogs Vaccinations | how to training dog

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man...I miss Luke.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://krainy-cienia.blogspot.com/

3:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:30 AM  
Blogger James Rozoff said...

A complete stranger has found your blog, found it interesting, and is not trying to link off of it in order to sell stuff. I'd even like to know more.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have you ever want to visit another galaxy or other planets? Have you ever want to see a werewolf, see vampire plants? Travel back in time, visit the moons of Jupiter, fight in a robot war, or ride a dragon? Then this is the book for you. Earth’s end has arrived due to a man made virus and pollution of air, water and land. Even the Anti-Christ is desperate to get off the Earth before the end. A space lottery selects 200 brave souls to colonize a distant planet named Caldoria. Unfortunately, the ship pops out of its time/space warp and is severely damaged by a meteor shower. Oxygen is running out. All appears hopeless or is it. In order to save the planet he loves, our hero is forced to travel from world to world to find himself and to learn to know and love GOD.
The book will not make you smarter, but it take you on a mind journey. Available exclusively on Amazon Kindle for download to Kindle and other electronic devices at only $2.99.

Also why not check out my blog;

dmlangel1101.blogspot.com

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! I've just received my free minecraft giftcode!

>> Minecraftcodes.info <<

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Luke. He was a wanderer. I lost touch of him a few years back.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Today is Luke's birthday.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

< Home